- During the experiment, do not get discouraged if you run into a lot of problems.
- Do not stop if your experiment does not turn out the way you think it should. Running into problems is not an excuse to quit your project.
- It’s okay if your hypothesis is proved incorrect. As long as you did an experiment, you will get credit.
- Judges like to see persistence, so keep at it! Always ask “why?” And “how?” Solving problems and repairing accidents may take a while, and the answer will only come with perseverance. If you just stop working, you will not accomplish anything. Do more research, walk through your procedure, and try to solve problems. These problems may lead to innovative solutions that you can describe during the judging interview. Try to fix the problems yourself first, but then ask a parent or advisor for advice if you are still stuck.
- Example: Every single one of my projects had problems during the experiment. Instead of being embarrassed about it, I did more research, analyzed my procedure to find out what I did wrong, and I asked my mentor for help. In fact, an accident during my 2003 project turned into my 2005 project, which was the project that won the most prestigious awards!
- Example: A scientist was investigating ways to make radars more powerful when he discovered that some waves melted a chocolate bar in his pocket. This led to the development of the microwave oven. If you pursue your problems and accidents, you will end up with a great project. If you give up, you will not have anything.
- Judges love to talk about the problems you ran into and how you solved or tried to solve them. This shows them that you did not give up easily and that you pursued your problems. If you solved the problems, it also shows you were motivated to figure out a clever solution.
- ALL PROJECTS TURNED IN BEFORE THE DUE DATE JANUARY 24 WILL RECEIVE AN EXTRA 10 POINTS. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR WOULD LIKE TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT WITH ME DURING RECESS, LUNCH OR AFTER SCHOOL, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. CAN’T WAIT TO SEE THE GREAT EXPERIMENTS!!!